Saturday, June 11, 2011

My first 'spectraflair' franken

Like so many other people, I jumped on the Spectraflair bandwagon so I could create my very own holographic polishes. I am so super excited about my first attempt.


Super macro to see the holo.


This is what the pretty polish looks like indoors.


Here's my ingredients.


I just used clear polish with about half a teaspoon of Ultramarine Blue pigment purchased from TKB Trading.  The bottom baggie is my spectraflair pigment.  Just look at the holo from the baggie.

Despite what you think, this is not a drug shot.  It's just a sample pic to show you how much spectraflair pigment I used.  This is flour, and that is just a regular thin straw (4mm) cut into a spoon shape.  So while this picture is huge, the actual amount of spectraflair used was tiny.

What I love about this stuff is that the finished polish is totally smooth, unlike a holo glitter.  

Some things I have learned about Spectraflair from reading other posts and my experiments:
  • you need to use a jelly finish polish, don't use a cream or the pigment will just get lost.
  • add a tiny bit of pigment at a time, you don't need a lot.
  • there is a point of pigment saturation, where just adding more pigment doesn't make it more holo, in fact it makes it less holo (probably because the light particles can't escape because of the density of the pigment)
  • The more pigment you add, the lighter your polish will be.  It will make a black polish gray very quickly.
  • you need to start with a suspension base, otherwise the pigment will just settle to the bottom of the bottle. This means, start with something that already has stuff suspended in it such as pigment or glitter, or buy something like the suspension bases from TKB Trading.  Not that I have tried these because they don't ship them internationally yet, but the reviews are good.
I bought my spectraflair off ebay. I know there are are stack of girls out there that have bought this stuff to make frankens and I haven't heard of any one of them having fingers fall off. However, if you choose to get some, you do so at your own risk. If you haven't read My Lucid Bubble's post on this stuff, you should.

So who else has got some Spectraflair, and a have you made a franken with it yet?  If so, feel free to leave me a link to your posts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment